Saturday, June 29, 2013

Contentment in Jesus

   Back in January I shared with you that Jesus spoke to my heart about going on a clothing, shoes and jewelry fast for a year. Here are some things that I've learned and been reminded of in the past 6 months since that time. First of all it's hard to believe that it's already been 6 months. It's actually been a fun adventure and has forced me to be more creative in putting together new outfits with the things I already have. I have put different belts, scarves, and jewelry with outfits to change an "old" look. I have realized how easy it is to confuse wants with needs and how often I get something new because it's "a great deal" rather than evaluating whether It's something I really need. We have choices every day of how we're going to spend the resources that God had given us. Everything we have is His, and I desire to be a good steward of what He has given me. I've noticed that by not spending and therefore not even looking or shopping for clothes, etc... has made me evaluate all areas of where I spend money. I am much more conscious of focusing on needs more than wants. I have become more frugal in all areas, appreciate all that I already have more, and am reminded that there are so many people whose needs are greater than mine. I say that I want to give more to meet the needs of others, but am I willing to give up some of my "wants" in order to do that? Decisions are hard for me so it's been nice to not have to decide which dress or shirt or pair of shoes to buy and instead choose to wear and be thankful for the things that I have and have worn many times before. Really....does anyone else care what I wear and why do so many get caught up in having the latest fashion trend? What really matters--wearing something new or having a heart that is seeking to know Jesus better and a desire to share His love with others? Our world focuses much more on the outward appearance while Jesus focuses on our hearts. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with dressing and looking nice, but   it can become a problem when the pursuit of "things" (clothes, vacations, homes, electronics, TV, etc....) become more important than desiring to know Jesus better. 

   In order for Jesus to fill our hearts with Himself, we need to be willing to deny ourselves. Self-denial is a common thread in Christ's teachings to His disciples (Matthew 10:38, 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 14:26,27; John 12:24-26). From my journal on June 23 I wrote:

   Self-denial is a willingness to obey His commandments, serve one another and suffer--perhaps even die--for His sake. I desire to do that now, but the Holy Spirit has shown me that for much of my life my actions did not demonstrate self-denial but self-preoccupation. I desired to be served more than to serve--didn't know Jesus and therefore His Word well enough to obey His commands and certainly was not willing to suffer and die for Him. I didn't want to miss out on anything this world had to offer. My focus was on the here and now not my home with Jesus in heaven forever. My focus was on the world and "fitting in" rather than on denying myself and being willing to be different and misunderstood. Jesus was a servant, loved others passionately, was misunderstood and ridiculed by many and willingly suffered and died for me. He asks me to deny myself and follow Him. As He, through the Holy Spirit, has revealed to me that  for much of my life my focus was on myself and being accepted in this world--now I pray that I will choose each day to deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him; that I will desire to follow in His footsteps, being willing to do the will of my Heavenly Father no matter what the cost just like Jesus, my Savior, did every minute that He walked this earth until He suffered and died for me on the cross. Really--if I truly love Him and say that I am a follower of His--can I do any less? Instead of expecting life here to be easy, I need to realize that it won't be. It wasn't easy for Jesus, and it wasn't easy for His disciples, but as Paul (who suffered much) said: "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21 I desire to live the rest of my life here to honor and glorify my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to share His love and story of hope with others, and to 
look forward to my forever home with Him someday!!!

    In denying myself some things this year because of the clothing fast, it has reinforced how important contentment is. As I've shared here before, I was discontent for much of my life and was always seeking to find contentment with more stuff. Hebrews 13:5 says: "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." The life application commentary sums up so well what my Lord has taught me: "How can we learn to be content? Strive to live with less rather than desiring more; give away out of your abundance rather than accumulating more; relish what you have rather than resent what you're missing. We become content when we realize God's sufficiency for our needs. Christians who become materialistic are saying by their actions that God can't take care of them--or at least that He won't take care of them the way they want. Insecurity can lead to the love of money, whether we are rich or poor. The only antidote is to trust God to meet all our needs. See God's love expressed in what He has provided, and remember that money and possessions will all pass away." God promises to meet our needs in Philippians 4:19 "And my God will meet your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Again I have found the  life application commentary to be so true: "We can trust that God will always meet our needs. Whatever we need on earth He will always supply, even if it is the courage to face death as Paul did. We must remember, however, the difference between our wants and our needs. Most people want to feel good and avoid discomfort or pain. We may not get all that we want. By trusting in Christ, our attitudes and appetites can change from wanting everything to accepting His provision and power to live for Him."

  Contentment in Jesus brings freedom from the desire for "more". Contentment in Jesus alone is lasting, never-changing and a constant, constant, HOPE! 

   The song I'm sharing with you today is called "My Reward" by Kristian Stanfill. Is Jesus your reward today? Does He mean more to you than anyone or anything else? Praying that you will choose to make knowing Him your most important priority. You will not be disappointed. HE IS AMAZING!!!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment