Friday, January 27, 2012

Willing to Trust in The Storms of Life

In thinking about the theme of lovelybranchesministries.org "A Willing Heart" this month, I would like to share what the Lord laid on my heart to share with some ladies from my church at a recent breakfast meeting:

We need to have a willing heart to continue to trust God in and during the storms of our lives. As I thought of the word, STORMS, the Lord brought these things to my mind in the form of an acrostic.
S is for SOVEREIGNTY
Just as it was for me 5 years ago when my husband, Ty was diagnosed with cancer and has been for me everyday since, I need to understand and trust that God is sovereign. From Chip Ingram's book, "God As He Longs For Us to See Him", God's sovereignty means that "He is in fact the Lord of all Lords, King of all Kings, and in absolute control of time and eternity. Nothing will come into our lives today that He did not either allow or decree for our ultimate good." Romans 8:28 says: "We know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His Purpose."

T is for TEST
Storms test our faith. We need to have a willing heart to continue to lean on Jesus through those tests. There have been so many times when I have wanted to just give up. I have said so often since Ty's death, "Lord, this is so hard!" It's in those times that Jesus reminds me of His promises and tests my faith by asking if I really BELIEVE everyone of them such as: Joshua 31:8 "The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will NEVER leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a future." 2 Corinthians 12:9 But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." In my weakness, I am so thankful for God's promised strength! A few more wonderful promises: Psalm 37:28 "The Lord loves the just and will not forsake His faithful ones." He also reminds me in many places in His Word that He is my rock, my fortress, my helper, my deliverer, my shelter, my protector, My Savior, my counselor, my friend, and now my husband. How awesome is that?! The key is that we CHOOSE to BELIEVE His unchanging promises and not rely on our ever-changing emotions.

O is for ONLY Jesus Can Bring ONGOING Peace
Again, I have to have a willing heart to choose to believe His promises and to fill my heart and mind with His Word. His Words bring such comfort and peace. Only Jesus can give an ongoing peace that is beyond our understanding. The things and pleasures of our world as well as spending time with friends and family can bring temporary peace, but only an intimate relationship with Jesus can bring a peace that lasts.

R is for REST
God tells us in Matthew 11:28 to "Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." We need to be willing to REST in Him and rejoice in who He has created us to be. All of us are created uniquely different and the Lord has a specific plan for each of us. The problem comes and our rest disappears when we start comparing ourselves with others and become discontent with who we are or what we have. This journal entry shows how the Lord speaks truth to our hearts and gives us rest as we listen to Him. On this particular day I was struggling with my worth mainly because I was comparing myself with others. As I was studying in the book of Nehemiah, the Lord used the life application helps from some of the passages to encourage me: "Nehemiah and Ezra were very different people, yet God used them both to lead the nation. Remember, there is a place for you in God's work even if you're different from most other people. God uses each person in a unique way to accomplish His purposes." The Lord knew what I needed to hear--He does want to use me here--even though I want to be in heaven and really HOME. He's not ready for me there yet and has a plan for me here. "Nehemiah asked God for specific help. The Lord wants us to pour out our hearts to Him and ask Him for specific things. Just as Nehemiah didn't take matter into his own hands--we shouldn't either. Nehemiah asked God to strengthen him--he relied on God for emotional and mental stability." "Sometimes my mind seems so unfocused and decisions often hard--I need to share my confusion with Jesus and TRUST Him to help me. He's available 24/7 and wants me to REST in Him instead of comparing myself with others and focusing on my weaknesses and failures. I need to remember that the Lord wants me to rejoice in my weaknesses because in my weakness, He is strong. Therefore, as I focus on Him and His strength I can truly REST knowing that I can do all things with His help." I read somewhere recently that we all need to absolutely refuse to compare ourselves with anyone else. We need to REST and rejoice in how God has created us and allow Him to use each of us in unique ways!
M is for MIRACLES or God-Winks as I like to call them
Through the storm of Ty's cancer, his death, and my adjusting to a new life without him, the Lord has demonstrated His intimate love and care for me through many "little miracles" or God-winks. On my most discouraging days, all I have to do is read back through my journals to be reminded of how much Jesus cares for me. Here's a recent example from my journal on December 15, 2011. "As I was heading home from Hutch after dark with many Christmas gifts to unpack from my car, I was feeling especially lonely and thinking how wonderful it would be to come home to having the lights on and Ty greeting me as I came into the garage like he used to and helping me unpack things. Just as I turned onto my street a star shot across the sky in front of me. It was amazing!!! I haven't seen one for a long time, and God always seems to send them exactly when I need a reminder that He is still with me and hasn't forgotten about me. I praised Him for the reminder and unpacked the car with a joyful heart!!"

S is again for SOVEREIGNTY
Being willing to believe and rest in the fact that God is in control is key whether we're heading into the storm, are in the middle of it or heading out of it. Chip Ingram writes: "as we believe that God is both good and sovereign (in control) that we would absolutely refuse to worry knowing that He is working ALL things for our good EVERYDAY even those things we don't understand and seem so unfair."
Summing it up: we have to have a willing heart to trust in and accept God's plan for our lives even in the storms. Our attitude and outlook are so important as we lean on our loving Heavenly Father in and through every storm. Remember, God doesn't always promise to take us out of our storms, but He does promise to walk with us through them.

S--Sovereignty--God knows what's BEST ALWAYS.
T--Test--Storms test our faith, but we can trust Jesus to walk with us through them.
O--Only Jesus can bring Ongoing peace
R--Test in Jesus and rejoice in who you are in Him
M--Miracles (God-winks) that remind us of His love and faithfulness
S--Sovereignty--God is in control. We don't need to worry.

I know that I've shared the following song before as it was our family theme song through the cancer journey with Ty, but it is a perfect one to listen to when you're faced with a storm in your life. It's called "Praise You In This Storm"by Casting Crowns. What hope we have in Jesus. We need to be willing to share our hearts and hurts with Him and allow Him to comfort and carry us! As the song says, "He holds every tear in His hands and never leaves our side." I pray that He will bless each of you today with more of His amazing love as you reach out to Him with a willing heart and trust Him.

5 comments:

  1. A good word, Keva. For those like me who may be going through difficulties and trying to find their way your (God's) acrostic is very true. It speaks of relationship with Jesus, letting go of self and transitioning to trust. For me, I realize how 'untrustworthy' i have been jn the past and that is sometimes hard to shake off. Because God is totally trustworthy I have to leave behind (not look at) what I have been and realize that as I trust Him I will become that trustworthy person I so desire to be...but it only can come from me letting go of my human 'frailness' (ie: shortcomings) (not denying them but letting them go) and grasping God's unending and undeniable faithfulness and putting Him on (Jesus Christ) and realizing this is now who I am now that I am His. And then believing that the Holy Spirit will lead me, thus, denying the lies of the enemy that I am unworthy. Once I have accepted Christ now comes the time of choosing to believe His words to me...and to me it is that which you have written here today. God's grace be upon you. Thank you for sharing. George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, George for your encouraging words. Our choice to run to our Savior at all times and to believe His wonderful promises to us is so important. I am so thankful for God's faithfulness, peace and love each and every day minute by minute. I love Him so much!!! Have a great day walking with Him!

      Delete
  2. Keva, Awwesome promises...thanks for reminding us! Your acronym is so meaningful, I'm adding it to one of mt "window cards". Something to think about while doing the dishes! Thanks for sharing...Suze

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for again sharing your heart and for the acrostic to help us remember God's promises in the midst of storms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments Suzanne and Kim. Aren't God's promises wonderful, and there are so many of them for us to cling to. I hope you both experience much love from our Lord today!

    ReplyDelete