Tuesday, December 28, 2010

More Of Jesus

I trust that each of you had a peaceful Christmas as you rested in and focused on Jesus. My sons, Wyatt and Yance as well as my daughter's-in-law, Laurel and Elaine and my precious grandson, Preston were all here for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We all missed Ty, but Jesus blessed us with a very special time together as well as with extended family and friends.

Thinking of the new year, I'm reminded that every day is a new beginning. No matter what happened or didn't happen yesterday, I can choose to wake up praising Jesus for His unconditional love and trust Him to give me strength for that day. Granted, I don't always wake up feeling like praising Jesus. Yesterday was one of those days. I don't know how many times I said, "Jesus, help me" throughout the day. He did help me as I chose to rejoice and talk to Him even though I didn't feel like it.


I went to Hutchinson last night to celebrate Christmas with Ty's Grandma Farney and other family. She and Ty shared a Christmas Eve birthday, and she is 99 years old this year. They shared many birthdays together as we would all meet at Ty's parents for breakfast to celebrate their special day. Anyway, it was a very fun evening, but I was feeling quite lonely as I headed home. The first thing I said when I got in my car was "Lord, I miss Ty so much." Then I turned on the radio and heard Dr. Stanley say that we need to be strong and courageous like Joshua. He went on to share from Joshua 1 as I drove home. When I got home and looked up the passage it was such an encouragement and reminder of how to begin the new year that I want to share it here.


Starting in Joshua 1:5 God says to Joshua "No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses so I will be with you, I will never leave you nor forsake you. BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. BE STRONG AND VERY COURAGEOUS. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth, meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."


As we all face new challenges and new beginnings in the New Year, God will go with us just like He went with Joshua. It was so great to be reminded of that. The life application helps from my Bible say: "Joshua's new job consisted of leading more that two million people into a strange new land and conquering it. What a challenge--even for a man of Joshua's caliber. Every new job is a challenge. Without God, it can be frightening. With God it can be a great adventure. Just as God was with Joshua, He is with us as we face challenges. We may not conquer nations, but every day we face tough situations, difficult people and temptations. God promises, however, that He will never abandon us or fail to help us. By asking God to direct us we can conquer many of like's challenges. Many people think that prosperity and success come from having power, influential personal contacts, and a relentless desire to get ahead, but the prospect of prosperity that God taught Joshua goes against such criteria. He said to succeed Joshua must


(1) BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS because the task ahead would not be easy.

(2) obey God's law, and

(3) constantly read and study the Book of the Law--God's Word.


To be successful, follow God's word's to Joshua. You may not succeed by the world's standards, but you will be a success in God's eyes--and His opinion is most important."


We need to commit everything to our Lord and Savior--our goals, ambitions, dreams, money, talents, time, health, and relationships. We need to commit to studying His Word everyday in order to get to know Him better, and we need to make glorifying Him our #1 purpose in life. As my pastor, Jim Dillon, said last Sunday, "When we make Jesus our first priority all the secondary things bring much more joy and blessing."


As Pastor Jim challenged us, I challenge you in this New Year to pray for the most important thing--more of Jesus. He promises in Jeremiah 29:13, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Life is hard, but God is ALWAYS faithful. I pray that as we begin and continue through this new year that we will become completely faithful in complete commitment to our Faithful God.


The following song was the first one I listened to as I was looking for one to share. It even had a line in it especially for me, that His love brings faith to the widow! I trust that it will bless you as you are reminded of God's love for you and how His love does bring peace, faith, and hope. As He keeps reminding me: He needs to be enough for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment